[standards-jig] JEP-0060 comments

Greg Hewgill greg at hewgill.com
Mon Jan 6 22:30:39 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 03:47:20PM +0200, Alexey Shchepin wrote:
> What about mail-list style subscription?

The reason the challenge-response mechanism is necessary for email is because
email From addresses can be so easily forged. The Jabber system already ensures
that the 'from' attribute of an <iq> packet can be trusted. Requiring that the
user take an extra step for subscription doesn't seem necessary.

> Also, IMHO we need to think about how this pub/sub will be used

Well, I'm certainly thinking about how *I* want to use it. :) Once I get around
to writing the subscriber side of my app, I should be in a position to use my
pubsub implementation in a real environment.

Anyway, it sounds like your question has more to do with naming, ie. how the
service and nodes should be named. This sort of decision should probably be
made at a higher level than the base pubsub specification.

Greg Hewgill
http://www.hewgill.com
JID: ghewgill at slacker.com