[standards-jig] JEP-0060 comments

Peter Millard me at pgmillard.com
Mon Jan 6 23:08:42 UTC 2003

Greg Hewgill wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:36:46PM -0700, Peter Millard wrote:
>> * Added a jid attribute to the subscription element when subscribing:
>> Note that for iq transactions, the server must send back TO the full
>> jid, since JSM will not route iq packets which do not have a
>> resource.
> I'm still a bit confused about this. Suppose I want to subscribe from
> an entity using the full jid?  [munch..]

To subscribe using a full jid, the application would just specify that full
JID in the jid attribute:
     <subscribe node="foo-node-id" jid="foo at bar.com/resource"/>
I will try to rework this section again to help make it more clear.. I
presume you're talking about the implementation notes (Section 7.1).

My note about the return packet containing a full JID was just to note that
the pub-sub server can not send to a bare jid, since JSM will not deliver
these packets to the endpoint in question. The requesting jid CAN be
different than the subscribed jid as shown:

<iq type="result" to="foo at bar.com/client" from="pubsub1">
  <pubsub xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub">
    <entity jid="foo at bar.com/xml-rpc-service" affiliation="subscriber"/>
  </pubsub>
</iq>

The new affiliated (subscribed) jid has a resource of xml-rpc-service, but
the resource requesting the subscription was client.

> Are item IDs optional?

Yes. As you pointed out unique + required is too strict for simple
applications. I would think that if an implementation chooses to NOT
implement persistent item storage, then id's would never be necessary.

> I'm working on taking your other updates into account in my
> implementation.

Excellent, please continue the feedback as you progress in the
implementation. Will you be making this code available for use on
jabberstudio, or some other project repository??

pgm.