[standards-jig] NEW: Stock Data Transmission (JEP-0067)

Ulrich Staudinger chicago5 at gmx.de
Tue Jan 14 18:51:08 UTC 2003

> Ulrich,
>
> The JEP looks clear and strightforward to me. Do you have any examples of
> how a client would subscribe to a certain stock symbol or symbols? Does it
> make sense it include those in the document, or do you feel that can be
> inferred from the pub/sub JEP?

Beside the fact that the jep is full of spelling errors ... A client
subscribes to a node:
Let's assume he wants to subscribe to the yahoo-symbol aixg.de . Of course a
client has to know how stocks are identified, if the WKN (trade number), a
proper symbol, or just a yahoo symbol is used. For ease i used the yahoo
symbols. Because all data is published in a subnode of the stocks/ node he just
subscribes to that subnode. The subnode is called after the symbol. The subnode
has again three other subnodes, /realtime /bar and /news. So to sum up, a
client would subscribe to stocks/aixg.de/realtime .

> Also, for the bar chart/time series data portion, how does the client know
> that the time series data has been completely sent? For instance, if I
> wanted to get a full day chart of a symbol, like MSFT, that includes the
> price/volume data sliced into 15 minute increments, how would this be sent
> to the client? Would multiple data point XML packets be sent, or just a
> single packet that contained all the data points? If the former, how would
> know that all the price/volume data has been sent to me so I can display
> the
> chart?

First of all, pubsub is not used (in this jep) to act as a research
function. The component has to be iq'd for researching, i will add he cmommands asap.
But the intention is: Multiple packets, each stamped with a time and a
timespan, are sent. If there is a gap in the data repository, the time/timespan
combination represents this. These packets are not packed.

Intention was to broadcast i.e. all 15 minutes the bar/candle chart data for
the last 15 minutes ...

regards,
ulrich