[standards-jig] VoIP Standard for Jabber

Vapor vapor at 66oc.org
Thu Jan 16 13:05:41 UTC 2003

I think I may have failed to make my point clearly.  At first I was
thinking it would be nice to adopt a non standard protocol.  But as time
progress It became clearly not what jabber was about.  So what I am
proposing is that jabber find one of the standards based protocols,
whether it be SIP or h.248 and adopt it as the defacto standard for voice
with jabber.  Then if any others come along that we want to connect to,
transports can be written to communicate with the other standards.  But
if we dont have one that is officially the Standard for jabber clients to
support, I dont think the jabber clients will adopt any voice very
quickly.

So what I think is needed is a standard adopted, and then working toward
a proof of concept impementation of that standard for both client and
server.

I dont want to see the voice protocol relying or requiring peer2peer
communication.  That typically becomes and administrative hell for
firewall admins.

I also envision voice conference server components written for jabber
too.  But that would probably be a ways down the road.

On a side note, one of the problems I have seen discussed with VoIP is
that there are too many standards available.  Because of that, I think We
need to adopt the one with the most potential and te one that would "fit"
with jabber the best.