[standards-jig] VoIP Standard for Jabber

Mark Brown broonie at sirena.org.uk
Fri Jan 17 13:01:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 01:22:37PM -0600, Vapor wrote:

> VoIP Standards out there:
> H.323 v1, v2, v3, v4
> SIP (rfc 2543)
> MGCP (rfc 2705), MGCP(ISC specs)
> SIP+
> H.248(Megaco)
> Others.....

> According to http://www.bcr.com/voicecon/articles/b0006p64b.asp H.248 is
> slated to become the most popular in the future and theirfore probably the
> one we should look most seriously at.

Note that the protocols you list have two very distinct roles.
Protocols like H.323 and SIP deal with establishing calls: things on the
level of "I'd like to call number X".  Protocols like MEGACO and MGCP
deal with low level control of devices ("The user has picked up the
handset" or "Send an RTP stream to this IP address and port").