[standards-jig] VoIP Standard for Jabber

Vapor vapor at 66oc.org
Fri Jan 17 15:29:01 UTC 2003

Yeah, that is what I have been discovering while researching all of this.
Kinda starting from ground zero on it as I dont have a whole lot of
experience with the protocol side of VoIP.   So far SIP or SIP+ seem to be
the forrunner for Voice.  But h.323 offers both voice and video with it.

I am working on compiling a list of pro's and con's to each though to help
me summarize the capabilities of each.  One thing I have noticed is that SIP
deals with End Node communication, not concerning itself with any sort of
central gateway.  I found that this has caused problems in the past,
expecially when it comes to firewalls because inbound connections through a
natted gateway wont translate properly.  I know some gateways/firewalls are
beinging to support SIP but for the end user who may be using something like
a linksys, this may not be an appropriate solution.

Still hunting though.

Vapor