[standards-jig] comments on JEP-0060

Peter Millard me at pgmillard.com
Fri Jan 17 17:51:09 UTC 2003

Tijl Houtbeckers wrote:
> I've been reading through JEP-0060 and it looks like a good place to
> start for a very decent PubSub system. It seems to consist however out
> of two different kinds of examples. One group is the examples of
> generic pubsub queries (publish, subscribe, etc.) while the other
> group is examples of a specific (non-generic) implementation of the
> pubsub component that uses x:data.
[Much more stuff snipped..]

Apparently, the JEP needs to be more clear about the x-data examples shown
in the JEP. Here are some things that I need to elaborate more about:

1) Nodes MUST be configured using x-data (similar to room configuration in
JEP-45/MUC).
2) Implementations may use & implement ANY configuration options deemed
necessary for normal usage by consumers of that pub-sub component.
3) See section 3 of the JEP for the MUSTs and MAYs applicable.

I want this JEP to show what are POSSIBLE configuration options for pubsub
nodes and definitely don't want to see this split into multiple JEPs. It was
never the intention of this JEP to be an information draft of an existing
implementation. The converse is actually true.. the new pubsub component on
js.org is "mirroring" this draft as it progresses.. much like the
mu-conference component did while JEP-45 was being drafted.

I would encourage you to send the list some alternate verbiage that would
make the points that you feel are more "informational" explicitly state that
they are "optional". I will also be working on making this more clear.

pgm.