[standards-jig] VoIP Standard for Jabber

Vapor vapor at 66oc.org
Fri Jan 17 18:33:40 UTC 2003

I agree completely.  I dont think we should look at reinventing the wheel.
And as far as I can find, SIP so far does appear to be the latest and most
reasonable technology for this.  And if Video can be handled by SIP, all the
greater then.

I really dont want to reinvent the wheel, as long as we can find something
that fits with jabber.  Currently the the jabber experience includes an easy
to manage protocol that passes data well through firewalls and has proven to
be extreamly flexible.  It also allows a central point of communication so
that peer to peer communications isnt an issue.  So for Jabber, I would like
to see a voice protocol adopted that can provide this same feel.  Easy to
manage and can provide a central point of communication so that peer to peer
communications inst an issue for voice as well.  The lack of supporting
hardware for SIP currently is a big drawback in my opinion for getting voice
adopted.

As for the client libraries to handle sip, that can be a problem.  Linux
seems to be able to support it on the server end, so I dont see that quite a
critical.

Thanks for the input though, this is the kinda stuff I am looking for.  If
we can pick apart the protocols to come up with which really is the best for
JSF to recommend the clients adopt then I think voice will become a very
viable option within jabber.

Again, its all about the end user experience.  If voice works, thats all
they care about, and the better it sounds and works the better it is for
jabber.

Vapor