[standards-jig] VoIP Standard for Jabber

Iain Shigeoka iain.shigeoka at messaginglogic.com
Fri Jan 17 18:43:50 UTC 2003

On 1/17/03 9:19, "Richard Dobson" <richard at dobson-i.net> wrote:

>> I think both H.323 and SIP could be used in Jabber, IMO SIP is the right
>> direction to move. Jabber protocol should only give facilities to pass
>> "callto:" and "sip:" URLs. Also, some kind of SIP tunelling can be
>> implemented in jabber clients and servers.
>
> Why would we need tunnelling since SIP is designed with gatewaying in mind?
> But I agree that the only thing that should be standardised in the jabber
> protocol is passing callto: or sip: urls, the actual voice stuff itself
> should have nothing to do with it. Also using SIP where it is best used
> (Voice etc) might increase our standing in the eyes of some of the SIP
> people who feel threatend by us and thinking that we are trying to make
> jabber do everything rather than use appropriate tools to perform certain
> jobs (i.e. SIP for Voice) as I think jabber is best suited to IM and XML
> transmission but SIP seems to be already pretty much be the new standard for
> Voice (some phone companies seem to be deploying and looking very seriously
> at SIP for voice) and also why reinvent the wheel as it were.

I should also point out that there is an IETF proposal for a SIP/XMPP
standard which, if I understand correctly, proposes SIP for initiating the
'call', and XMPP as the transport. It would be great if your analysis could
also look at that standard (and the authors may be great resources for
information regarding how they see SIP and XMPP (aka Jabber) working
together).

-iain