[standards-jig] comments on JEP-0060

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Sat Jan 18 00:07:36 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I wasn't sure were to insert my take on this, so I picked one of the
posts ;-)

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 03:18:15PM -0700, Peter Millard wrote:
> Tijl Houtbeckers wrote:
> > "Matthew A. Miller" <linuxwolf at outer-planes.no-ip.com> wrote
> >> I can see your point on the difference between "Nodes MUST be
> >> *configured* using x-data" and "Nodes MUST be *configurable* using
> >> x-data", though.
>
> I agree with this point and will re-phrase accordingly.. What I wanted to to
> convey was:
> * Any node configuration available MUST be done using the x-data protocol.
> What this means is that in some cases of pubsub, a node MAY not have any
> configuration. In those cases, the server MUST respond to the iq-get for the
> config form with an error-501: Not Implemented.

I would put it like this. If you want to implement a pubsub component and
want to provide a way to configure the nodes IN BAND (i.e. with use of the
jabber protocol), THEN you should use jabber:x:data to do that. If you
have some other means like directly interacting with the storage of the
configuration (like the postgresql database in Gregs implementation) or
regular magic to alter the configuration, that's find, too, but that is
OUT OF BAND.

Furthermore I think that we should provide names of variables and their
use for the configuration options we have thought about so far. This means
that if you want to configure an aspect of the node which conincides with
the meaning as stated in the JEP, that you then have to use this variable
name and handle it like described.

We should probably also use JANA for new configuration options, and maybe
prepend x- to variable names that are not approved by JANA for use in your
own private implementation.

Do I make sense here?

Ralphm.

PS: Tijl, thanks for your flattering words about my news service. People
might be curious right now, so if you want to know more about them, the
URL of the site is:

  http://mimir.ik.nu

Furthermore, an explanation of how it works can be found here:

  http://ralphm.net/blog/2002/Nov/06#news_service
  http://ralphm.net/blog/2003/Jan/17#new_pubsub2