[standards-jig] Fw: Potential problem in the future

Vapor vapor at 66oc.org
Tue Jan 21 03:50:24 UTC 2003

I am sure this has become apparent to some of you already but it just dawned on me so I thought I would share it.  Jabberd currently on a linux box, suffers from a 1024 session limit per port.  This could cause some serious problems in the future when jabber really takes hold on the market.  Not so much in client limitations but in s2s limitations.

Imagine this.  Company A does a lot of selling and buying of product and are using jabberd.  In the beginning this limitation isnt much of a problem but as time progresses we find that Company A has become quite popular and its employees begin to have Jabber contacts with over 1024 different companies.  All of the sudden, certain clients cant recieve presence or access to chat servers because Company A's server is rejecting their communications.

I am not exactly sure how to accomidate this problem but a few ideas come to mind.  It might not be a bad idea to have relay servers on the net.  A central repository of servers that relay communications for other servers.  Each server communicates with say 1000 jabber servers and with each other relay server. All these jabber servers have to worry about is communicating with the relay servers and the relay servers pass messages and presence between them to the other servers.

I hope I am getting my idea clearly accross.  Its just an idea but what do you think, should there be some sort of jabber relay standard to help tunnel other servers communications through so to speak?

Vapor.