[standards-jig] H.323 vs SIP for Jabber

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Fri Jan 24 07:33:36 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:19:13PM -0600, Vapor wrote:
> SIP
>  Pros:
>  Very Specific in that it was designed to directly address Voice over IP
>  Maximizes available bandwidth by keeping its messages lean and to the point
>  Smaller System Footprint - More focused allowing for less code required in its
> libraries
>  Light Weight - can process more call ser second than H.323
>  extensible
>
>  Cons:
>  Limited by its very nature to only voice communications
This is not true. SIP can be used to initialize any session (but mostly
multimedia sessions), and even to carry any not-session-related messages
(eg. SIMPLE which is IM over SIP). I think SIP is much more generic
then H323. But the most important thing is that SIP is much simpler than
H323.

Greets,
	Jacek