[standards-jig] JEP-0102

Peter Ronez prnz404 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 21:01:47 UTC 2003

> community has been growing. So my question is, why?
>
> Why don't we have file transfer?
> Why don't we have end to end crypto?
> Why don't we have ...
>
> There are many, many good (great) things about Jabber but I can't help
> thinking the ratio of discussion/documentation to agreement/coding is
> weighted the wrong way.

I think its important to recognize what makes Jabber "great." In my mind Jabber
is much like Python, a language that I think it clean, powerful, and just plain
beautiful. Python has been around, I believe, for over 10yrs now and its only
recently getting a lot of momentum. Lots of people during that time have tried
to force all kinds of "features" and "requirements" onto the language but Guido
applied discretion and direction and thus the language is what it is today.

The Python community has always said that if you think an idea is so damn
great, then go ahead and implement it and show us the proof.

So, given that I whole heartedly disagree with lets ratify JEPs and get stuff
implemented mindset. Jabber would loose its cleanliness if Peter Saint-Andre
and the other Jabber.org people where ratifying JEPS left and right. The most
important thing to note here is that its incredibly difficult if not impossible
to undo bad decisions once they've been approved.

All of this hit home the other day when I was kind of pushing for XHTML in the
presence tag. Someone told me, hey if you think this is such a hot idea then
create your own namespace and do it. Initially, I thought "you $%^#; I'll show
you. I'll do exactly as you said!" However, that's the beauty of Jabber; it's
like a language that lets people do what they want. So once I release my client
and the XHTML start flying all over the place in presence tags and some more
people come around, then everyone can sit down again and see if they like it or
not.

That brings me to JEP 102. Wow, what a complicated JEP that seems to be partly
redundant with the SSL, PGP, S/MIME stuff found in the IETF specifications. I'm
not a cryptanalyst so I can comment further. I do think that the SSL and
PGP/S-MIME support is adequate for most paranoid users even if it doesn't have
all the key exchange and what not. However, I'm looking forward to being
disproved and being shown that this JEP is exactly what everyone needs.