[standards-jig] JEP-0102

Jan Niehusmann jan at gondor.com
Wed Jul 2 07:12:33 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 02:01:47PM -0700, Peter Ronez wrote:
> the python community has always said that if you think an idea is so damn
> great, then go ahead and implement it and show us the proof.

Not a bad approach, IMHO. But unfortunatley, I have the impression
people are not really encouraged to implement experimental features
(even if there already is an experimental JEP).

For example, the warning on top of JEP 95 and others, though it
'allows' proof of concept implementations as an exception, first says
'Implementation ..  NOT RECOMMENDED'.

Why don't we tell software authors explicitly: Hey, sorry, we don't have
a final JEP yet, but here is an experimental one (or just a good idea).
It may change later, but if you want to take the risk, it would be great
if you implement it now, so we can see if it works.

Or do you fear that these experimental implementations will stay
forever, even after the JEP gets advanced to draft status, and these
preliminary implementations would make jabber unstable or inconsistent?

Jan