[standards-jig] JEP-0102

Bart van Bragt jabber at vanbragt.com
Wed Jul 2 18:05:28 UTC 2003

Evan Prodromou wrote:
> We've got an excellent mechanism -- XML Namespaces -- for using
> multiple protocols on the same network, without conflict. We've got
> the infrastructure in place -- disco -- so that nodes on the Jabber
> network don't have to guess what protocols other nodes can handle.
:D
Sure it's possible to 'fix' things this way, from the network's point of
view anyway. Problem is that the life for client developers and (more
importantly) end users will be hell. Why does my Avatar work with Jane
and not with Rachel? Why can I transfer files to Cindy and not to Peter?

It's kind of (extremely) useless to have several protocols that do
almost the same thing. So IMO yes, it's a good thing that we're trying
to get all the 'basic' functionality into the jabber:* hierarchy. The
only problem is defining 'basic' ;)

Bart