[standards-jig] Re: JEP-0102

Iain Shigeoka iain at jivesoftware.com
Fri Jul 4 17:36:11 UTC 2003

On Thursday, Jul 3, 2003, at 20:07 US/Pacific, Jean-Louis
Seguineau/EXC/ENG wrote:

> One generic question though regarding a JEP structure. From your
> comments
> and from Peter's, I am under the impression that the writing is too
> binding
> for an implementer. What would be your recommendation to indicate that
> some
> part of a JEP may be loosely implemented?

I think Matt's second item would be useful. Separate key exchange from
the protocol so that other key exchange mechanisms can be used. I
believe this is how the PKCS standards are broken up. So the encryption
JEP assumes you have keys, and explains what to do with them
(encryption and decryption). A separate JEP or set of JEPs can then
describe key exchange (they're kind of orthogonal concerns).

-iain