[standards-jig] Tiny Pubsub comment/question

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Tue Jul 8 18:55:28 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 02:03:48PM -0400, Matt Tucker wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Pubsup JEP 60, Example 81 uses (and there are some other examples too):
>
> <message to="subscriber1" from="pubsub.jabber.org">
>   <x xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#event">
>
> So, an <x> element is the recommended payload type. From previous
> discussions on the standards list, it was my understanding that people
> were trying to get away from using <x> elements in messages and instead
> using something more like:
>
> <message to="subscriber1" from="pubsub.jabber.org">
>   <pubsub xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#event">
>
> Obviously, it doesn't matter all that much what is used

It does much! Some clients are broken and ignore element name but
it is the name plus namespace what determines meaning of XML element.
Jabber should not use "its own XML", where elements and namespaces mean
something else than in real XML.

In my Jabber/XMPP implementation I always match element local name and
namespace. Sometimes I have to check more than one element name, but
these are just workaround for broken clients (which usually just base on
broken libraries).

There are also some JEPs which treat namespaces in strange way - eg.
disco which uses two namespaces ("#items" and "#info") instead of just
using two different element names in the same namespace.

Greets,
        Jacek