[standards-jig] FW: Let's fix THE PROBLEM

Joe Hildebrand JHildebrand at jabber.com
Thu Jul 17 21:23:13 UTC 2003

No.  It's more important that we get XMPP finished and out the door as
quickly as possible, honoring the spirit of the xmppwg charter, which points
us toward maintaining backward-compatibility where possible.

Having a pub/sub system *also*, based on the same underlying transport, is a
really good thing.  I agree with you that many of the "presence" apps that
people want to build are actually pub/sub apps.  But that doesn't mean that
the simple (not SIMPLE), extensible presence model of XMPP should be
abandoned.

Particular implementations may choose to *implement* presence in terms of
pub/sub, or to provide a pub/sub interface on to presence information, but
the existing presence protocol will have to stay in place for XMPP
compliance.  Changing that at this point would mean basically starting over
from scratch, which I for one would be loathe to do.

--
Joe Hildebrand