[standards-jig] pubsub usability for avatars and similar stuff

Alexey Shchepin alexey at sevcom.net
Fri Jul 18 20:14:02 UTC 2003

Hello, Peter!

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:30:49 -0600, you said:

 PM> Jacek Konieczny wrote:
 >> Hello, I think some kind of disco request to the server, which would return
 >> base of user-writable nodes, should be used.

 PM> I can appreciate the desire for this, but I would think that the
 PM> "instant-node" concept presented in the JEP (see Example 6) would
 PM> typically be used by clients if they just need a node to store stuff
 PM> into. This allows a client to just discover the service, then create a
 PM> node, and start publishing to it. The pubsub server will automatically
 PM> create a node-id using it's own hierarchy, or an un-used opaque string.

Suppose user create avatar using instant node, and it now stored under
"generic/31415926535897932", then he close current client, and run another
one.  How second client will know that avatar already created?  Via private
storage?  Then we need standard about this.

But I think that solution with returning of user-writable node is simpler and
more clean.  With it we will have more informative node names (like
"home/server/user/avatar" instead of "generic/2718281828459045").