[standards-jig] pubsub usability for avatars and similar stuff

Alexey Shchepin alexey at sevcom.net
Sat Jul 19 19:35:46 UTC 2003

Hello, Ralph!

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:35:47 +0200, you said:

 RM> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 11:14:02PM +0300, Alexey Shchepin wrote:
 >> Suppose user create avatar using instant node, and it now stored under
 >> "generic/31415926535897932", then he close current client, and run another
 >> one.  How second client will know that avatar already created?  Via private
 >> storage?  Then we need standard about this.

 RM> Just like clients of other users discover your avatar node: using disco.

How client will know where is your avatar node to discovery it?

 >> But I think that solution with returning of user-writable node is simpler
 >> and more clean.  With it we will have more informative node names (like
 >> "home/server/user/avatar" instead of "generic/2718281828459045").

 RM> Why? Just because it looks better?

Because client will need to send one iq request to pubsub service to ask
default dir and he will know that avatar is stored in "home/server/user/avatar"
node, mood in "home/server/user/mood", etc.  With current jep-60 client will
need to store somewhere in iq:private information like "avatars in
home/server/user/123456789, mood in home/server/user/987654321, etc".  This
info is bigger than in first case and client need to resend it each time he
create new node.  Or if client will store info about each node in separate
iq:private places, then it will need to send many iq requests after connecting
to server.