[standards-jig] JEP-0084: Why only one avatar?

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Sat Jul 19 23:18:08 UTC 2003

    The way JEP-0084 reads, it appears that you can only have one
avatar. However, it seems to me that it is likely that people are going
to want/need to have more than one. For instance, I might want to
publish a "low resolution" avatar for use by people who have PDA's or
cell phones with tight memory constraints and a "high resolution" avatar
for folk that have bigger machines on broadband connections. I might
also want to make available several variants of a single avatar, for
instance, I might make .jpg, .png, .mpeg and .gif versions available and
let subscribers decide which they wanted.
    I think it would be reasonable to allow people to make more than one
avatar available and to provide some descriptive information which would
allow a client to choose the appropriate avatar from the available set.
    Also, I would strongly suggest that you include a "byte-count"
element in the meta-data so that memory/bandwidth constrained
applications can decide whether or not they have the necessary resources
for an avatar before they retrieve it.

        bob wyman