[standards-jig] pubsub usability for avatars and similar stuff

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Sun Jul 20 09:16:24 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 10:35:46PM +0300, Alexey Shchepin wrote:
> Hello, Ralph!

Hi!

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:35:47 +0200, you said:
>
>  RM> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 11:14:02PM +0300, Alexey Shchepin wrote:
>  >> Suppose user create avatar using instant node, and it now stored under
>  >> "generic/31415926535897932", then he close current client, and run another
>  >> one.  How second client will know that avatar already created?  Via private
>  >> storage?  Then we need standard about this.
>
>  RM> Just like clients of other users discover your avatar node: using disco.
>
> How client will know where is your avatar node to discovery it?

As specified in JEP-0084, section 2.1.

>  >> But I think that solution with returning of user-writable node is simpler
>  >> and more clean.  With it we will have more informative node names (like
>  >> "home/server/user/avatar" instead of "generic/2718281828459045").
>
>  RM> Why? Just because it looks better?
>
> Because client will need to send one iq request to pubsub service to ask
> default dir and he will know that avatar is stored in "home/server/user/avatar"
> node, mood in "home/server/user/mood", etc.  With current jep-60 client will
> need to store somewhere in iq:private information like "avatars in
> home/server/user/123456789, mood in home/server/user/987654321, etc".  This
> info is bigger than in first case and client need to resend it each time he
> create new node.  Or if client will store info about each node in separate
> iq:private places, then it will need to send many iq requests after connecting
> to server.

Yes, this is exactly the idea followed in JEP-0084. You need no structure
in your pubsub nodes like "home/server/user/avatar". Of course, you can
choose to write a pubsub component that does have some kind of structure,
but as mentioned earlier in this thread, a client just wants to a have
a node it can publish, too. Why should it care about the aesthetics of
the node id?

Querying the server via disco to find out where somebody's avatar node
is, seems natural. It can be the case that users want to store their avatar
on another server than their mood, so you have to query for this anyway...

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm