[standards-jig] On the Subject of Avatars

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Sun Jul 20 20:31:52 UTC 2003

I proposed a simple method of using vCards to store avatar information
on this list a month or so ago. I wrote up the proposal as a JEP; it's
available here:

          http://evan.prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us/jeps/dsa/dsa.xml

It's simple, easy, and gets the job done. It works well with jabberd 1.4x.

There's a sample Perl script to manage avatars here:

          http://evan.prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us/avatar.pl

I dislike JEP 0084 for the following reasons:

  * far too complicated for such a simple task
  * requires an extra component on the server side, or deployment of a
    new server
  * requires pubsub
  * separates avatars from all other user information (vCard)

Anyways, I didn't want to let 84 go by without making a
counterproposal and getting some feedback.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou
evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us