[standards-jig] On the Subject of Avatars

Matt Mankins mankins at media.mit.edu
Sun Jul 20 21:03:54 UTC 2003

Hi.

> ESP:
> I dislike JEP 0084 for the following reasons:
>
>   * far too complicated for such a simple task

While I agree that the simple solution trumps the complicated one, I think
the following points are less strong if you consider a future where pubsub
is an integral part of the "jabber server experience".

>   * requires an extra component on the server side, or deployment of a
>     new server
>   * requires pubsub
>   * separates avatars from all other user information (vCard)

I think pubsub is destined to become as ubiquitous as vcard is today, or
perhaps more so.

I view pubsub as more of an event notification system that happens to have
a storage component to it rather than the other way around.  As such,
perhaps there's a way to use vcard for storage and pubsub for change
notification.  Yet if you do this, it would undoubtedly violate the simple
principle set forth above.

Given that pubsub does have a way to store data, and that its use will
likely be more and more coupled with the server, it seems that pubsub
actually IS the simplest because:

   * -does not- require an extra component on the server side, or
deployment of a new server
   * -reuses- pubsub
   * -includes- all other user information (vCard) (err, assuming that
someone someday creates pubsub nodes for user information)

With that said I'm all for trying them both out and see which one wins in
the big bad real world.

Mankins