[standards-jig] JEP-85: Chat State Notifications

Peter Ronez prnz404 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 21 03:42:10 UTC 2003

Hi everyone,

I've read over JEP-85 and looked at the initial comments on the JEP from June
and in May. As far as I can tell, the purpose of the JEP is to bring the
jabber:x:events in line with the work on XMPP. Also, since people really only
use the compose event, the other events were not included in the spec.

Anyway, the reason why I started looking at JEP-85 in the first place is b/c I
ran into a road block with plain jabber:x:events -- I need the 'gone' feature
from JEP-0085. However, the feature that I'm working on made use of the message
ID being sent along with composing events. JEP-85 doesn't have a way to
communicate message IDs for events, and so to get around this, I believe this
is why thread ID was added as an optional element.

Unfortunately, this solution isn't sufficient since I need a finer granularity
than the thread ID, I need the message ID that the event is associated with. My
rationale for this is that thread IDs encapsulate a conversation and message
IDs of course single out a message in that conversation.

Given this, would the authors of JEP-85 consider adding ID as an optional element?