[standards-jig] On the Subject of Avatars

Julian Missig julian at jabber.org
Mon Jul 21 18:06:43 UTC 2003

On Monday, Jul 21, 2003, at 13:32 US/Eastern, Evan Prodromou wrote:

> Right now, we have in common use three count 'em three user
> info protocols:
>
>             * jabber:iq:register (parts go into the vcard with jabberd
> 1.4.x)
>             * vCard
>             * jabber:iq:search AKA JUD
>
> JEP 0084 will introduce a FOURTH protocol for user information -- not
> designed around any of the other three, and without an upgrade path
> for the other three to work towards.
>
> I agree that pubsub has a bright shining future. BUT, I think we need
> to recognize the real problems with user information in Jabber, and
> move towards a unified design for user information. JEP 0084 is a step
> in the wrong direction.

vcard-temp will probably be replaced with something better, not
directly stuck into pub-sub. It was called 'temp' for a reason.

Also, I feel that avatars are /not/ user information, and they're
certainly /not/ something I want to be downloading every time I look at
user info. Avatars are quite "large" in the network sense compared to
user info--I wouldn't want to force them down the throats of hiptop
users.

Julian