[standards-jig] On the Subject of Avatars

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Mon Jul 21 21:02:45 UTC 2003

Evan Prodromou wrote:
> JEP 0084 will introduce a FOURTH protocol for user
> information -- not designed around any of the other
> three, and without an upgrade path for the other
> three to work towards.
	If we accept this as a problem, then it is fairly clear that
substituting your proposal for "Dead Simple Avatars" in place of
JEP-0084 would simple result in a different fourth protocol and still no
"upgrade path for the other three to work towards."
	If, as you suggest, we should "move towards a unified design for
user information" then that is what we should focus on. We should not be
making the problem worse by adopting things like your proposal prior to
working out the larger issue...
	Also, given that PubSub now seems safely in the Jabber fold (or
soon will be), it would make sense to assume it is the preferred tool
for publishing updates to user information.

		bob wyman