[standards-jig] UPDATED: File Transfer JEPs

Sebastiaan Deckers cbas at screaming3d.com
Tue Jul 22 09:33:53 UTC 2003

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>As OSCON, a number of developers implemented file transfer using the
>suite of JEPs 95, 96, and 65. It was quite a picture: Ryan Eatmon and
>Peter Millard added support to Net::Jabber and Exodus respectively, and
>sent files through a proxy component that Dave Smith wrote at OSCON,
>with all the traffic going through Rob Norris's local jabberd2 server,
>plus I was editing the JEPs in real time as protocols were adjusted to
>meet the needs of real-world implementers. Lots of fun.
>
>So the following JEPs have been updated to reflect the work we did in
>Portland:
>
>http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0095.html
>http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0096.html
>http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0065.html

Sounds like they had a lot of fun. ;-)

>In addition, Ryan Eatmon wrote a new JEP that specifies a stream
>initiation profile for sending a directory tree rather than a single
>file:
>
>http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0105.html

Finally, a new feature for filetransfer in Jabber/XMPP!  People have
been waiting years for this.  (And all we did was argue about the
transfer mechanism...)

Could 105 be changed to put the size attribute on each <file> tag?

And also, why not use XML to represent the directory structure?
Something like:
<directory name="bar">
<file size="500" name="foo"/>
<file size="800" name="oof"/>
<directory name="more">
<file size="100" name="stuff"/>
</directory>
</directory>

This also allows to send empty directories by doing this:
<directory name="nothing"/>

Comments?

--
Sebastiaan