[standards-jig] On the Subject of Avatars

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Jul 22 14:04:58 UTC 2003

    Me> JEP 0084 will introduce a FOURTH protocol for user information
    Me> -- not designed around any of the other three, and without an
    Me> upgrade path for the other three to work towards.

    BW> If we accept this as a problem, then it is fairly clear that
    BW> substituting your proposal for "Dead Simple Avatars" in place
    BW> of JEP-0084 would simple result in a different fourth protocol
    BW> and still no "upgrade path for the other three to work
    BW> towards."

Well, to be precise, it's just a clarification of the use of the
<PHOTO> element already in vcard-temp. It's not a separate protocol at
all.

Another way to think about it is solving a problem (avatars) with
tools we already have (vcard-temp) in an upward-compatible way.

    BW> If, as you suggest, we should "move towards a unified design
    BW> for user information" then that is what we should focus on.

Agreed. I don't think separating out one part of user information and
distributing it under pubsub is the best overall strategy.

    BW> We should not be making the problem worse by adopting things
    BW> like your proposal prior to working out the larger issue...

DSA is just saying, "This is where avatars fit in the scheme of user
information in Jabber right now." I think the user info problem is a
sticky one, yes. Keeping our mess confined to the protocols we already
have might be a good idea.

    BW> Also, given that PubSub now seems safely in the Jabber fold
    BW> (or soon will be), it would make sense to assume it is the
    BW> preferred tool for publishing updates to user information.

Amen. I'd love to see a userinfo pubsub proposal.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou
evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us