[standards-jig] Pubsub "Real World" Implementation Issue

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Wed Jul 23 06:48:48 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 09:33:13AM -0400, Stephen Pendleton wrote:
> The "instant-node" concept that Peter mentioned earlier in another thread
> will not work in
> this case (I believe) since other users will need to know where my location
> node is in order to subscribe to it. Is it recommended that we use disco to
> learn where the node was created?

Yes.

> If so, how does the client do this
> automatically?

Look at the JEP-84 (avatars).

You have to choose own namespace URL for your protocol and the client
should disco user (not pubsub component) for a node named by that
namespace.  That disco node would contain jabberid of pubsub component
and pubsub node name containig requested information.

Section 4 of JEP-30 (disco) describes how to make server return such
information in reply to disco query to user's bare jid.

> I don't want to user to have to manually traverse the hierarchy of available
> nodes,

He doesn't have to.

Greets,
	Jacek