[standards-jig] NEW: User Moods (JEP-0107)

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Wed Jul 23 12:00:03 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 10:38:28PM -0500, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0107.html
>
> Let the flames begin!

Ok! You asked for it ;-)

First of all, I was pleasantly surprised to see this JEP since I have
been experimenting with moods myself, too. There are a few things that
I would want to see differently though in this JEP. I'll explain what
I have done on this:

I modeled my moods to have both a general state and a description, like
presence has now. A mood snippet as I use them on my site looks like this:

<mood xmlns="ralphm:mood">
  <show>happy</show>
  <status>I'm happy to see the mood JEP</status>
</mood>

This is because your mood description (in <status/>) can be totally
different from your presence description. If I go to lunch, my presence
changes to xa and the <status/> field contains something like 'Lunch!'. But
I do like to provide a message about why I am in a certain mood.

Both <show/> and <status/> are optional, defaulting to 'default' and ''
respectively. The values of <show/> are somewhat limited at the moment and
the list provided in this JEP is very nice.

If you like to see my stuff in action, see http://ralphm.net/moods. Send me a
message if you want to have your mood shown there as well.

Now on the containers.

I have no objections to the <message/> container, since I can see how
that might be useful in conversations.

You can probably guess where this is going, but I'm going to try again. This
protocol is easy to implement, without a doubt. But, as with other 'extended'
presence stuff we have seen come by (avatars, location, current song), mood
information is something that changes independently from 'normal' presence. I
therefore think it should not be transported using the <presence/> stanza.

I've also been reading the discussion of the protocol gathering yesterday, and
one thing that was said was that avatars should get a good solution and that it
would be a reason for developers to support pubsub protocols. This (moods) is
another one. We need to focus on making protocols for the future, not quick
hacks.

So let us, in analogy to the avatar proposal, use disco to discover the
user's mood node and then subscribe to it using pubsub. Automatic node
creation is not an issue, as pgmillard pointed out, because we can
use instant nodes for this.

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm