[standards-jig] NEW: User Moods (JEP-0107)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Jul 23 15:42:24 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 02:00:03PM +0200, Ralph Meijer wrote:

> I modeled my moods to have both a general state and a description, like
> presence has now. A mood snippet as I use them on my site looks like this:
>
> <mood xmlns="ralphm:mood">
>   <show>happy</show>
>   <status>I'm happy to see the mood JEP</status>
> </mood>

I like this better. You could even include a URL:

<mood>
  <show>happy</show>
  <status>I'm happy to see the mood JEP</status>
  <x xmlns='jabber:x:oob'>http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0107.html</x>
</mood>

> Both <show/> and <status/> are optional, defaulting to 'default' and ''
> respectively. The values of <show/> are somewhat limited at the moment and
> the list provided in this JEP is very nice.

Why not default = neutral?

> If you like to see my stuff in action, see http://ralphm.net/moods. Send me a
> message if you want to have your mood shown there as well.

Sorry, I'm not in the mood. :P

> I have no objections to the <message/> container, since I can see how
> that might be useful in conversations.

Yeah, I tried to visualize how teenagers would use this. ;)

> You can probably guess where this is going, but I'm going to try again. This
> protocol is easy to implement, without a doubt. But, as with other 'extended'
> presence stuff we have seen come by (avatars, location, current song), mood
> information is something that changes independently from 'normal' presence. I
> therefore think it should not be transported using the <presence/> stanza.
>
> I've also been reading the discussion of the protocol gathering yesterday, and
> one thing that was said was that avatars should get a good solution and that it
> would be a reason for developers to support pubsub protocols. This (moods) is
> another one. We need to focus on making protocols for the future, not quick
> hacks.
>
> So let us, in analogy to the avatar proposal, use disco to discover the
> user's mood node and then subscribe to it using pubsub. Automatic node
> creation is not an issue, as pgmillard pointed out, because we can
> use instant nodes for this.

You're right. To me, moods are something of a borderline case, but it's
probably best to maintain the separation between true presence and this
other stuff, which people tend to call "extended presence" (my moods,
activites, location, avatars, listening habits, etc.).

I'll fix the JEP accordingly.

And expect more "extended presence" JEPs from me soon... :)