[standards-jig] NEW: User Moods (JEP-0107)

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Wed Jul 23 15:54:44 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:42:24AM -0500, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 02:00:03PM +0200, Ralph Meijer wrote:
>
> > I modeled my moods to have both a general state and a description, like
> > presence has now. A mood snippet as I use them on my site looks like this:
> >
> > <mood xmlns="ralphm:mood">
> >   <show>happy</show>
> >   <status>I'm happy to see the mood JEP</status>
> > </mood>
>
> I like this better. You could even include a URL:
>
> <mood>
>   <show>happy</show>
>   <status>I'm happy to see the mood JEP</status>
>   <x xmlns='jabber:x:oob'>http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0107.html</x>
> </mood>

Yeah, that would nice to have, too.

> > Both <show/> and <status/> are optional, defaulting to 'default' and ''
> > respectively. The values of <show/> are somewhat limited at the moment and
> > the list provided in this JEP is very nice.
>
> Why not default = neutral?

Heh, it actually is ;-)

> > If you like to see my stuff in action, see http://ralphm.net/moods. Send me a
> > message if you want to have your mood shown there as well.
>
> Sorry, I'm not in the mood. :P

:-) Ok, let me know when you are...

> [...]
>
> > So let us, in analogy to the avatar proposal, use disco to discover the
> > user's mood node and then subscribe to it using pubsub. Automatic node
> > creation is not an issue, as pgmillard pointed out, because we can
> > use instant nodes for this.
>
> You're right. To me, moods are something of a borderline case, but it's
> probably best to maintain the separation between true presence and this
> other stuff, which people tend to call "extended presence" (my moods,
> activites, location, avatars, listening habits, etc.).
>
> I'll fix the JEP accordingly.

Thanks, I'll fix my site accordingly. For kicks, I also made a small
gtk/hemp/twisted app that displays somebody's mood in a window. When
hemp stabilises a bit, I'll publish it, too.

> And expect more "extended presence" JEPs from me soon... :)

Whohoo!

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm