[standards-jig] NEW: User Moods (JEP-0107)

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Wed Jul 23 16:31:12 UTC 2003

Ralph Meijer wrote:
> a reason for developers to support pubsub protocols.
> This (moods) is another one. We need to focus on
> making protocols for the future, not quick hacks.
	No one will be surprised to hear that I strongly support Ralph's
suggestion that PubSub be carefully considered as the mechanism for
broadcasting moods. I believe it would be very improper overloading of
"presence" for it to be extended to include mood information. This is
similar to some of the more unfortunate "Rich Presence" proposals that
are kicking around the SIMPLE group recently -- i.e. forcing status
messages like "phone is ringing" or "call waiting enabled" over the
presence service.
	I think that many of the applications that people think of as
"presence" applications are really PubSub apps. (I also think that
"presence" itself should be a PubSub app -- but that is another
discussion...) The fact that Presence arrives first as a means for doing
asynchronous alerting makes it a deceptively attractive opportunity to
squeeze through all sorts of PubSub applications. However, since we've
got PubSub well underway, it would make sense at this point to try to be
disciplined about clearly distinguishing between what is presence and
what is PubSub. Maintaining this discipline may mean that some
capabilities are a bit slower in getting into broad use, however, it
will probably result in our having a much better defined and better
implemented platform in the future.

		bob wyman