[standards-jig] On the Subject of Avatars

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed Jul 23 16:58:51 UTC 2003

    PM> That may be well and good, but we decided before that we
    PM> didn't want to pursue a "temporary" and/or hackish solution to
    PM> the avatar problem.

I don't think it's particularly hackish. It stores the avatar in with
the rest of the user's profile data. That's pretty reasonable.

Storing the avatar as a decimal-encoded milliseconds part of the
jabber:iq:time response -- now THAT would be hackish.

I think the basic requirement of avatars is associating a small image
with a Jabber account JID (node at domain). I think if we manage to do
that, we've got 80% of the problem licked. DSAs does this.

The only thing that could really be called hackish is the special
MIMEish tag to mark a <PHOTO> element as an avatar.

    PM> The most immediate problem would be that I'd be limited to a
    PM> single avatar.

It'd be possible to relax that restriction and have multiple <PHOTO>
elements be marked as avatars. I don't like that, because it increases
the bandwidth needed to get a vcard, but it's possible.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou
evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us