[standards-jig] Summing up DSAs

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed Jul 23 17:08:45 UTC 2003

So, I want to just take a second and sum up the responses to the Dead
Simple Avatars in one place. Problems with the idea:

       * vcard-temp is a dead end.
       * Bandwidth. vcard requests would have to pay for up to 20kb of
         extra base64-encoded data that the client may not be able to
         process (either due to limited display capabilities or lack
         of awareness of DSAs).
       * Frequently-changed avatars. If avatars are frequently
         changed, clients have to implement polling, or user
         interaction is required.
       * Multiple avatars. A user can't specify multiple avatars.
       * PubSub is the future.

I only really find the second one compelling. I think the rest is
overengineering. I don't think users want or need frequently-changed,
multiple avatars, and I think discarding a simple, ready-to-use spec
because it doesn't meet these requirements is wrongheaded.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou
evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us