[standards-jig] Summing up DSAs

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Wed Jul 23 17:23:32 UTC 2003

> I don't think users want or need frequently-changed,
> multiple avatars, and I think discarding a simple, ready-to-use spec
> because it doesn't meet these requirements is wrongheaded.

Sorry but this is simply not true, just watching people use MSN Messenger's
new avatar capability shows that normal people do indeed change their avatar
frequently, often depending on their mood. Sometimes they even change it
just as much as their presence (although not on the whole), but the avatar
will certainly be changing a couple of times a day on average for some
people, so IMO any protocol that doesnt allow someone to cleanly and easily
change their avatar multiple times a day is deeply flawed.

IMO PubSub is the only option, since there is absolutely no point using the
<PHOTO> vcard element since for the majority of users it is simply not good
enough.

Richard