[standards-jig] JEP-0067

Peter Ronez prnz404 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 02:12:56 UTC 2003

I don't intend to be rude, but I think this JEP has no merit as a Jabber.org
JEP. Mind you, I think it's a good idea, but the standardization for the
transmission of equities data (or just common stock in this case) over XMPP is
beyond the scope of what's currently defined.

As someone who has worked in a financial firm, writing financial software, I
can assure you that this is not nearly sufficient for the demands of those
companies or even day traders. For example, the current JEP has no market depth
information on a given equities product nor does it even specify the exchange
that the product is traded on (you need that information to trade). Also, the
JEP is confined to common stock even though equities options, futures and
convertables are other essential equity financial products.

Now a bit of preemption: You could argue that this the information conveyed by
this JEP is not tailored for financial institutions, but rather for people who
have an occasional interest in the markets. If that's the case, then those
people probably don't need the information in near real-time and probably be
better served going to Yahoo! for all the graphical, historical data.

In addition to the shortcomings of the JEP, XMPP is great but it doesn't have
all the kinds of message delivery reliability / caching that Reuter's Tibco RV
product line offers. If this is an attempt to make XMPP as an alternative RV
then you've got your work cut out.