[standards-jig] software version

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat Jul 26 17:19:29 UTC 2003

    PS> I'd like to propose that we add a <creator/> element to
    PS> jabber:iq:version, which existing implementations could ignore
    PS> if they don't understand it.

    PS> Objections?

Yep. Namespacing objection.

Is there a good reason not to use a new namespace for this?
Like "http://jabber.org/protocols/version" or "jabber:iq:version:2"?

I completely understand that this is an backward-compatible change for
most implementations, but putting new elements into an existing
namespace is a habit we should get out of.

Changing the possible elements of a namespace changes the namespace;
it should thus have a new namespace identifier.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou
evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us