[standards-jig] software version

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Mon Jul 28 06:29:28 UTC 2003

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 04:54:53PM -0400, Matt Tucker wrote:
> else)? :) So yeah, a standards-track version JEP would be cool. If it's
> standards-track, that probably means we want to bite the bullet and
> switch over to:
>
>  1) Using the new style namespaces that are URL's.
>  2) Not use an IQ "query" sub-packet but something more useful like:
>
>  <iq>
>      <version xmlns="http://www.jabber.org/version"/>
>  </iq>

It seems this would be the best solution. Just make completely new
"version" protocol with all features needed, all legacy problems
resolved (namespace, element name). Probably some extension mechanism
could be included too.

Maybe use jabber:x:data inside the response with standarized fields,
fields whould be registered in Jabber Registar - so it would be
extensible. But this could be too much - version query result should be
short. Maybe custom field-value based structure? Anyway new JEP should
be written, discussed and the all issues, one-by-one could be resolved.

Greets,
	Jacek