[standards-jig] JEP-0067

Ulrich B. Staudinger chicago5 at gmx.de
Mon Jul 28 07:17:45 UTC 2003

Hi Peter Ronez,

i hope you had a great weekend.

>My largest objection to the JEP is that it's not Jabber.org job's to
>standardize on XML formats for data not even remotely related to instant
>messaging. There are plenty of other standards bodies with domain specific
>knowledge that are coming up with representations for the data. So aside from
>the technical problems with multicasting financial data over XMPP, it's still
>not a good idea for Jabber.org to produce its own data format for everything
>under the sun.

Name me one sufficient xml standard for stocks and i will look into it.
Neither the microsoft xml standard from 1997 nor most of the other
examples out there do half a good job for stock quotes as this jep. This
jep is very fundamental, it is afaik the only one of it's sort on/in the
internet.

I agree it's not j.o's job to produce data formats and j.o doesn't
anyway, but it's the the best place to put the jep for public discussion
and to secure the document. XMPP fits well for financial data delivery.

I think about moving the jep to an informational track. However, i am
quite sure it is gone from the jep list in a year, if i do so.

A word about multicasting/Rendezvous: I agree, multicasting is good and
has it's advances - be it for video, audio or groupchat data
transmission, but multicasting is not as supported as it should be. I.e.
over here in germany we have no non-university DSL provider who supports
multicasting. Internet projects, as the MBone, did not succeed because
of this reason. Traffic would have exploded many times earlier,
therefore i see no real use for multicasting except in a multicasting
environment - be it installed manually with software routers or hardware
installation in intranet environments.

regards,
ulrich

--