[standards-jig] software version

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Mon Jul 28 08:47:17 UTC 2003

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 06:02:58PM +0200, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 05:46:42PM +0200, Ralph Meijer wrote:
> > I am more in favour of putting an <x xmlns="jabber:x:oob"/> inside the
> > element it describes. So if you want to describe the software product,
> > put it inside the <query xmlns="jabber:iq:version"/> element. If you want
> > to link to information about the creator, put it in that element.
>
> What would be advantage of this?
> Handling jabber:x:oob instead of one attribute will be harder to
> implement. And jabber:x:oob was ment for downloading and in many
> implementations it triggers downloading, not browsing - so even if some
> code could be reused it will not work as it should unless modified for
> this case.

Ugh. Parsing an attribute instead of an element('s content) is not easier.
There are a lot of XML parsers out there, and accessing both ways are
mostly equally simple. In any case, this is an implementation detail.

As for jabber:x:oob, where does is say that you have to use the URL? That
some implementations start downloading everytime they see this element
come by strikes me as odd and probably false. Don't you mean jabber:iq:oob?

The use of jabber:x:oob has not been implemented as part of jabber:iq:version
(because it was never proposed before!), so I see no conflict with existing
implementations. If you say there are implementations that interpret
jabber:x:oob whatever their context, show me which. In my opinion those would
be bad implementations.

Having URLs as attributes in stead of elements has the disadvantage
of not being able to provide a description, and, if you want to use them,
you would still have to go looking for them, just as with an element.

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm