[standards-jig] NEW: Vacation Messages (JEP-0109)

Matt Tucker matt at jivesoftware.com
Tue Jul 29 12:52:57 UTC 2003

Rob,

A user being on vacation seems fundamentally related to presence. If the
JEP was changed to express the fact the user was on vacation through
presence, that allows a potentially much richer set of functionality.
For example, when you get just a vacation message back from the server
as a reply, that relies on a human to parse the message and understand
that the person is on vacation. If vacation was expressed through
presence that could potentially let us programatically know that the
person is on vacation and then show a palm tree next to their name in
the roster, trigger some action, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, I don't have any specific ideas on how you could express
being on vacation through presence. :( However, the current JEP seems
like it needs some sort of changes. It really feels more like a feature
that a particular server might implement rather than a full protocol
that should go through the standardization process.

Regards,
Matt