[standards-jig] NEW: Vacation Messages (JEP-0109)

lukasm lukasm at wp-sa.pl
Wed Jul 30 10:21:29 UTC 2003

Robert Norris wrote:

>>A user being on vacation seems fundamentally related to presence. If the
>>JEP was changed to express the fact the user was on vacation through
>>presence, that allows a potentially much richer set of functionality.
>>For example, when you get just a vacation message back from the server
>>as a reply, that relies on a human to parse the message and understand
>>that the person is on vacation. If vacation was expressed through
>>presence that could potentially let us programatically know that the
>>person is on vacation and then show a palm tree next to their name in
>>the roster, trigger some action, etc, etc.
>>

>Cute idea :) But I have no idea how to make it work. Its certainly not a
>presence function (it has nothing to do with _session_ presence).

Server can reply with  unavailable presence with vacation message in status
after receiving PROBE presence.
PROBE presences are sended by server to all users in roster when user
logs in.
It is very easy to implement ( just handle offline PROBE presence ) but
offline PROBE would do several xdb queries:
1. get user
2. get roster - to validate if this user can receive my vacation message
3. get vacation message

Lukas