[standards-jig] informational vs. standards-track

Matt Tucker matt at jivesoftware.com
Wed Jul 30 22:29:54 UTC 2003

Joe,

>>And I'm tired of the "good old boy" network that seems
>>intrinsically resistant to any form of change.
>
> /me hums the "Dukes of Hazzard" theme, and decides not to take this
> personally.

Sorry, didn't mean to relate it to you. It was more of a general
comment. :)

>>The major audience for JEP's is *NOT* other JEP writers, it's
>>people looking to implement JEP's. That is why it would be
>>very useful for us to further classify what is a standard,
>>give specific recommendations for what people should
>>implement, what JEP's are informal/informational, etc.
>
> How is this not what you are asking for:
> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jeplist.php

All developer's I've shown that list to are confused about what should
be implemented vs. what shouldn't. If we used a seperate numbering
system for standards-track vs informational JEP's, that might do the trick.

> I'm all for having another place on whatever web site you want that has a
> list of standards-track JEPs that are in the Final state.  Not all
> protocol-related web pages need to be on jabber.org, even.

Yeah, that would be a great help.

Regards,
-Matt