[standards-jig] Re: JEP-0052 and JEP-0065

Piotr Dembinski pdembinski at o2.pl
Tue Jul 29 20:11:19 UTC 2003

Thomas Muldowney wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 11:42, Piotr Dembinski wrote:
>
>>hi,
>>
>>Folks at psi can't implement file transfer without standard.
>>What's the point in negotitting mime-type in jabber protocol?
>>Is jabber replacement for http?
[...]
> Justin is integral in these talks, if you feel there's a problem bring
> it up on the standards jig not in a private email to everyone.

Sorry, I didn't know about this newsgroup before.

It looks like JEP-0052 named "File transfer" is obsolete since JEPs
65/95/96 will be used to define file transfer in jabber protocol.

I found that issue when looking for file transfer support between Psi
and gadu-gadu (which is impossible at the moment).

Furthermore, I doubt whether IM tool like psi or exodus needs MIME-type
recognition capabilities, which are provided for example by HTTP
protocol.  The type of bytestream is usually negotiated by users
themselves during discussion :)

But, after looking at JEPs 95/96, I can see that You have concluded the
same.

regards,
   peter