[standards-jig] informational vs. standards-track

Ryan Eatmon reatmon at jabber.org
Thu Jul 31 02:09:29 UTC 2003

Matt Tucker wrote:

> Joe,
>
>>> And I'm tired of the "good old boy" network that seems intrinsically
>>> resistant to any form of change.
>>

>> /me hums the "Dukes of Hazzard" theme, and decides not to take this
>> personally.
>

> Sorry, didn't mean to relate it to you. It was more of a general
> comment. :)

Hey!  That's the "good old boy" TM network.  We own the mark. =P

>>> The major audience for JEP's is *NOT* other JEP writers, it's people
>>> looking to implement JEP's. That is why it would be very useful for
>>> us to further classify what is a standard, give specific
>>> recommendations for what people should implement, what JEP's are
>>> informal/informational, etc.
>>

>> How is this not what you are asking for:
>> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jeplist.php
>

> All developer's I've shown that list to are confused about what should
> be implemented vs. what shouldn't. If we used a seperate numbering
> system for standards-track vs informational JEP's, that might do the
> trick.

That's what the pull down filter is for.  So that you can only see which
ones are final, which ones are deprecated, etc...

If people would prefer we could split them all out into seperate pages
then we can do that.  This is actually the first time I've heard
complains about that page.

Ryan Eatmon                   reatmon at jabber.org
Jabber.org - Perl Team    jid:reatmon at jabber.org