[standards-jig] informational vs. standards-track

Matt Tucker matt at jivesoftware.com
Thu Jul 31 19:45:19 UTC 2003

> However, throwing all new proposals into Informational is simply not
> acceptable.

Amen! :) All we really need to do is build out other classifications of
JEP's besides "core". It shouldn't be a lot of work or a big deal and it
will let us have a real standards process around things other than just
core protocols.

The main reason I'm personally interested in this topic is that we're
preparing to submit a fairly extensive JEP on workgroups (for live
support). It's obviously not something that will ever be part of core
but we still want to take it through a standards process rather than
just asserting "this is the way we do it" through an informational JEP.
I can imagine that there will be further JEP's around support processes
in IM as other vendors get involved.

So, a question to answer is whether the JSF is prepared to take on other
XMPP extension standardization efforts besides the core extensions (what
a lot of people call "Jabber"). Having classifications of standards
would fit well with some other organizations. As an example, the JCP
(http://www.jcp.org) shepards all Java standardization efforts. There
are some pretty specific sub-groups, such as JAIN for the "integrated
networks" industry as well as general classfications such as what client
side Java is and what is enterprise Java.

Regards,
Matt

P.S. As a point of interest, there are already several standard Java
API's in development for SIMPLE (something I find fairly scary for XMPP):

http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=165
http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=164

The list of companies working on those standards includes Cingular
Wireless, Ericsson, IBM, Motorola, Oracle, Panasonic, Sun Microsystems,
and Telcordia.