[standards-jig] Calendaring - Requirements & Goals

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Mon Jun 2 00:06:03 UTC 2003

> Before we go further on this, how about we first come up with what our
> requirements and goals are?  While these "details" might seem obvious, I
> have seen many a project fail because of this, some quite spectacularly.

After jabberd2 is finished (some time next century), my plan is to work
on an enterprise-grade group calendaring server, since there really
isn't an open-source option for something like the Sun or Oracle
calendaring stuff.

I've documented things briefly here:

  http://cataclysm.cx/projects/calendar/

My plan is to use Jabber as the underlying interconnect between the
various pieces of the server (clients, database, etc). It seems to me
that the entire application can be reduced to a series of pub/sub
operations, which will make Jabber ideal.

However, I don't know that the end-user interface will be a Jabber IM
client, necessarily - its entirely possible that the external interfaces
to the system will be iMIP/iTIP, and not XMPP at all.

It seems that we should be thinking of calendaring as an application in
the same way we think of IM as an application - a set of protocol
extensions to the XMPP core. In some places there may be interop with
Jabber IM (exchanging events with friends, receiving notifications, and
shared account/vcard information), but that doesn't necessarily mean
that all Jabber IM clients will become Jabber Calendar clients too.

So, what do other people think of when they think of Jabber Calendar?

Rob.