[standards-jig] Comments on JEP-85: Chat State Notifications

Julian Missig julian at jabber.org
Thu Jun 5 16:10:02 UTC 2003

On Thursday, Jun 5, 2003, at 10:52 US/Eastern, Dave Smith wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Are there any outstanding concerns/complaints about JEP-85? I'd like
> to start building consensus around it so we can get the Council to
> ratify it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Diz

I don't want to be rude or anything, but...

I'm still pretty unconvinced that message events need to be replaced to
begin with. I can see getting rid of having the x:event be in messages
that are sent and relying on browse/disco to detect that feature.

I also don't generally see cases where we want to tell people to
temporarily stop sending composing events where it's really worth the
added protocol complexity.

Basically, I'm pretty happy with the message events we have now. I
could see making a few changes and such to simplify and remove extra
cruft we don't need in the age of Disco, but I really don't want to
have to implement both message events and chat state notifications,
which means that chat state notifications would probably have to
replace message events. We already have tons of clients, transports,
etc. implementing message events--I think it would be more beneficial
just to clean them up than to create a whole new thing.

Julian